The holidays are just around the corner and parents are making a list and checking it twice. Here are some questions to as before you buy a toy for your child. If you answer yes to most of them, the toy is probably a good purchase.
- Is the toy safe for my child’s age?
- Will my child be interested enough to play with it over and over again? For several minutes or even an hour at a time?
- Is it constructed well? Will it hold up to lots of use?
- Does the power and the imagination to operate the toy come from my child?
- Will my child feel successful when using the toy? Does it challenge my child’s abilities just enough?
- Can the toy grow with my child? Will it still be appealing in a year? For several years?
- Can my child use the toy in different ways? Can it be used creatively?
- Will it help my child learn about other people, nature, or how things work?
A complete brochure (Toys, Tools for Learning) is available from the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Web site: http://www.naeyc.org/store/node/198